Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21, 2011

Hello family and friends, great news!  Dave had his port (where they administered chemo and the transplant) removed yesterday.  And do you know what that means?  Well, it means he is done and the doctor's feel his numbers and progress is at a point where he can come home!  So, Dave and my mom are coming home tomorrow!  I'm so excited, but not even close to what they are feeling.  They had the apartment paid until Saturday, but management allowed them a refund for the unused days!  The news just keeps getting better.  Not to mention, Dave has been released 2 1/2 weeks post transplant.  This is very unusual and just shows how well Dave has done. 

We had a great time with Dave and my mom this past weekend and we feel lucky we were able to experience a little bit of what they've been living.   I made Dave take me to the hospital even though it was his day off.  I know, I know, cruel, but I wanted to see what he's seen.  The hospital is amazing.  Dave was saying how he probably could have appreciate the architecture more had he not been there for treatment.  Dave has lost some weight because he wasn't eating much from his stay in the hospital.  Luckily when we got there he was having a little more of an appetite and was able to get a few good meals in.  Dave and Cory watched golf while mom and I went to the mall.  It was underwhelming and over-priced.  I guess I wouldn't make a very good wealthy person because I could never justify spending $350 on a purse.  If it's more than $40 I'm questioning my sanity.  Later in the evening we toured the grounds of their huge apartment complex.  The walking trails were amazing.  The funniest part of the walk was when mom had to return to get something and had Dave hold her glass of wine.  Yes, mom and I walk with wine.  It's tradition (wink, wink).  Dave has to wear this mask when out in public to protect him because of his compromised immune system.  It's not like a surgical mask, more like a gas type mask.  Maybe not quite as dramatic, but nevertheless, he's stand out.  Dave, Cory, and I are waiting for mom and Dave is holding this glass of wine with his mask on when this walker walked by.  I thought I was going to fall over with the look on this guys face.  I even had to do a reinactment for everyone it was so funny.  I guess it wasn't every day that you see a masked man holding a glass of wine.

We walked over to the club house on the property and hung out and visited on the balcony and then even played a foursome of pool.  I don't want to brag, but I made the winning shot.  Mind you, it was my only shot, but still....

We had a little glitch in our hotel reservations and at 9 at night after three glasses of wine had to search Palo Alto for a place to stay.  Thanks a lot Priceline!  We ended up at the Hooker Hut!  Okay, the Travel Lodge, but it might has well been called...

It was all worth it to get to see my parents and be with Dave on Father's Day.  Thank you to everyone for all your support.  I saw the many cards they had displayed around the apartment.  You are all so sweet, kind, and thoughtful.  I'm so proud to call you our famiy and friends!.

Dave will have to return to Standford for a check up in early July.  For now, he will need to rest and allow his body to reboot. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for the good news. Jeana, thank you for your commentary. It was exciting and entertaining. You should write a book!!!.Love you all--MJ

    ReplyDelete