Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dave Update-June 28, 2011

Hi there family and friends, today marks 25 days post transplant and day 6 back at home for Dave.  My mom and Dave returned home last Wednesday and the kids and I were there to welcome them (whether they liked it or not).  I think they were shocked by the heat, but still thrilled to be back with there favorites.  No, not me or the kids...but Dexter and Shelby (their cats)!  It does kind of make them sound like those weird cat people, huh?  A matter of fact, my kids have so many grandparents (the gift of coming from divorced parents) that when they were young they started differentiating them by characteristics that made sense to them.  Can you guess what they call mom and Dave?  You guessed it!  Cat Grandma and Cat Grandpa!  Ya, it's official they are weird cat people.  You almost can picture a house filled with 100's of cats with matching litter boxes...  I digress. 

Since being home, my mom has returned to work (hospitality instructor at SEE) and Dave has begun his job of recovering and allowing his brand new immune system to kick into gear.  He has been extremely fatigued and says its hard to wake up in the morning.  He's still struggling with his appetite and has had some aches and pains.  This is very discouraging to him.  I tell him this is normal, but I think his mind wants things to happen that his body is just not ready for.  It really will take some time for Dave to regain his strength and start feeling like himself again.  He will have good days and bad days.  Most patients are still in the hospital 25 days post transplant!  We have to give Dave a big whoop, whoop for his super hero status.  He was supposed to go to Stanford for a check up tomorrow, but I think he was going to try and postpone it.  He really is too tired to make a one day trip.  I think they are going to try and reschedule for next week.

Keep our family in your prayer and say a special prayer for my grandfather who has been suffering from some health issues himself.  Come on Callahans, what happened to the "Luck of the Irish?"  (Definition:  Some suggest "Luck of the Irish" means that the Irish are inherently lucky, and seem to be able to land on their feet when bad circumstances occur).  Interesting choice of words... Don't cats "land on their feet?"  Sorry, Dave.  It couldn't be helped! 

No comments:

Post a Comment