Saturday, January 28, 2017

dave Update- January 28,2017

Hello family and friends, I wish I had better news.  On Wednesday, we received the last lab that we were waiting for, Dave's M-Spike.   The M-Spike is one of the best ways to monitor the progress of the cancer.  Our goal is to be 0.0, this would mean that there is no active multiple myeloma cells and that Dave was in complete response (similar to remission).  Dave's M-Spike came back as 3.4. 

This, and the fact that his numbers haven't significantly changed after 4 rounds of Dara (new chemo), it has been concluded that this chemo on its own is not working.  Thursday, Dave had an infusion of Cart (chemo) and he was started back on Dex (steroid).  On Friday, back to the oncologist for his weekly Dara infusions.  His labs showed his red blood cells and platelets were low and his calcium is high.  So after hours of his chemo infusion, Dave had to go to the hospital for night of blood infusions and an infusion of another drug that helps with the high levels of calcium. 

Dave is not doing well.  I want to be as forthright as possible.  He is not getting better, in fact he is getting worse.  Our prayer is that this new combo will take affect quickly because his health is deteriorating quickly.  He is very confused and is having a difficult time processing information.  This has a lot to do with dehydration, low blood counts, and the high calcium levels.  The doctors are doing absolutely everything they can do to treat all of these symptoms.  Some of the symptoms are from the disease.  Some of the symptoms are from the chemo and treatments he is getting to fight down the disease. 

I have to thank all of you for sending your love and kind words to my mom and Dave.  They do need that positive support and encouragement.  I have to give a special thanks to Steve Strong, a long-time friend of Dave who has been coming by regularly to pray with Dave and just be the great friend he has always been.  Thank you as well to Dave and Jackie Benson (Dave's business partner and wife) who came by for a visit even though Dave B. just had serious eye surgery. 

It is difficult to watch someone you love in pain, scared, and suffering a cruel disease.  Sometimes facing it makes us question our own mortality.  Sometimes I want to forget this is happening to our family.  I don't want this disease to win.  I want to control it.  How would I handle having cancer?  Would I fight?  Would I be as brave and strong as Dave has been?   I hate how the doctors look at you all sad like they have a secret, but they don't want you to know.  I hate how people avoid you because they don't want to see you sick.  I hate that I have done that exact same thing to others I should have reached out to but was too scared because I didn't know what to say.  You don't have to say anything.  Being present is enough. 

I'm not saying it is easy.  I tend to joke and go into research mode.  It's my way of coping.  I try to be strong and helpful, but the reality is I just want to BE with two of the people I love the most in the world and I want them to know I am here for them no matter what.  Maybe the three of us are in denial.  Hope is a powerful thing.  This is Dave's fight.  We are in the ring with him and we will stand right by him for as many rounds that he wants to go.

Hugs

Jeana


No comments:

Post a Comment