Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31, 2011

Hello family and friends, just a very short update.  Dave and my mom left this morning for Stanford and he is scheduled for labs, chest x-rays, and a meeting with his doctor today.  It looks like we are going with Option 1.  Not that we had a choice really, but Option 1 it is.  Dave and I are actually liking Option 1 more since it has only one session of chemo instead of two.  He will have his chemo treatment of Melphalan on Wednesday and the transplant is scheduled for Friday, June 3. 

Dave was full of energy over the weekend.  Mom and I joked that he was like a pregnant woman nesting.  I'm not even kidding, he worked on the yard, organized closets, went through pictures, etc.  We though his water would break any minute.  I really shouldn't joke about water breaking since Dave is having to drink so much to just stay hydrated.  We certainly wouldn't want anyting having to do with water breaking. 

We had a nice little barbeque on Sunday and enjoyed some time with family and friends before they left on their 30 + day adventure.  I felt emotional over the weekend for sure.  It's like you wait for this moment for months and now its here and you just kind of don't know what to think or feel.  I hate thinking my parents are not just down the street.  I hate that I can't be there every step of the way.  And yet, I feel peace.  I feel like everything is going to be fine and that Dave will have a easy time of it.  Well, that is what I'm hoping for and I think Dave is going into this with a fighters spirit!  If you could though, pray that Dave's body accepts the new healthy stem cells and that they do their part in healing him.  Please pray for my mom as well.  Pray that she has peace knowing that Dave will be okay and that everything will be taken care of at home.

I will keep you updated every step of the way as I will be in contant (annoyingly so I'm sure) contact with my mom and Dave.  Thanks to everyone for your continued support.  We can't imagine going through this alone and you have all been so loving, kind, patient, and selfless.  Thank you to Peggy for housesitting my parents "babies".  Ya, no pressure there Peggy!   Please feel free to write, email, call, whatever.  I know that the next 30 + days away from home are going to be difficult so it would be nice to hear from you all.  If you'd like to write, send cards, donations (sooo, kidding, just a little inappropriate humor) you can send them to:

Dave and Carol Callahan
1766 Sand Hill Rd. #207
Palo Alto, CA  94304

No comments:

Post a Comment