Monday, May 23, 2011

Dave Update-May 23, 2011

Hi there family and friends, it looks like we have a new schedule.  Stanford has scheduled two treatment plans, one with highly fashionable BCNU chemo that is currently out-of-stock.  The second plan is with the Melphalan chemo only.  Obviously, we are hoping for the "original recipe" which is the second option.  The two schedule scenarios are listed below:

I.  Melphalan only
    1.  May 31-  Report to Stanford for labs, chest x-rays, and meeting with doctor.
    2.  June 1- Receive Melphalan chemo treatment
    3.  June 2- No Chemo
    4.  June 3-  Transplant
    5.  June 4-on  Live locally (4-6 weeks)

2.  BCNU (if it comes in)  Why do I feel like we are waiting for a new shoe shipment?  Anyway:
     1.  June 1- Report to Stanford for labs, chest x-rays, and meeting with doctor.
     2.  June 2- Stay overnight for BCNU chemo.
     3.  June 3-  Discharge to local housing with caregiver.  Start continous IV fluids with home infusion
 pump.
     4.  June 4- Report back for Melphalan chemo
     5.  June 5- No Chemo
     6.  June 6 Transplant
     7.  June 7- Discharged to local housing with caregiver.  Live locally (4-6 weeks)

Now that I'm looking at this, why do we want option II?  I mean, seriously.  Who wouldn't choose option I.  Perhaps it's a conspiracy.  They offer you Option II to make Option I not looks so bad.  Interesting.  Genius, really.  Time will tell what their master plan is and I will let you know the definitive date of Option I or II once it is confirmed.

The good news is mom and Dave were able to secure housing.  It's only one bedroom and costs a bit more than the two bedroom they previously secured, but it is closer to the hospital.  That part, I like. 
Once I get their address I will post on this blog.  Feel free to send cards, letters, whatever.  They will be there for awhile and I'm sure they would be thrilled to hear from family and friends. 

Dave has been doing fairly well.  His appetite is up and down and I think he now owns stock in Aquafina from all the water he has to drink to stay hydrated.  I think he is just looking forward to getting this over with and getting back to his life before cancer took over. 

Below is a link to a short video on the whole transplant process Dave has been going through.  Please note:  This is a video for services offered at Cancer Centers of America and Dave is not receiving treatment at their facilities.

http://www.cancercenter.com/video/treatments-technology/stem-cell-transplants/autologous

No comments:

Post a Comment