Friday, December 24, 2010

To Dave, From Jeana- Merry Christmas


To Father, From Daughter

What makes a Father-Daughter bond so strong?
Is it a biological thread that makes us belong?
Do genetics, chromosomes, and heredity from the start
Determine what ultimately makes up our heart?

If this is true, than look no farther;
I’m simply a mixture of my father and mother
Is that the only answer of what make me, me?
Or could I have fallen farther from the tree?

Wasn’t I shy and afraid of everything new?
Wasn’t I the quiet girl that didn’t have a clue?
No goals and no ideas of what I could be.
But you had a way of seeing way beyond me.

You showed me the world was so much larger.
And that never trying just made things harder.
You watched me fail and make mistake after mistake.
Never letting me fall completely flat on my face

 When I look in the mirror, it’s you that I see
Not so much physically, but spiritually.
We have the same flaws, same restlessness, and dry wit.
There’s an understanding here that some just don’t get.

What does “step” father mean anyway?
Does it mean you are a step lower or step farther away?
Does it define you as having less worth?
Simply because you didn’t witness my birth?

I know without a doubt that biology doesn’t matter
It’s not what makes up a father and daughter
It’s investment in time, in laughter, and pain
It’s more than sharing a person’s last name.

Genetics has nothing to do with what’s real
It’s your imprint on my soul that sealed the deal
Now it’s my time to show all I’ve learned
Now that the tables have finally turned.

I will be here for you, as you’ve been there for me
In sickness and in health or whatever it may be
When you look in my eyes, don’t look any harder
What you will see is a daughter’s love for her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment